Quick explainer: For those of you who don’t know yet, I am writing my second book HIM and have staggered my word count goals this time. If you sign up to the mailing list you get to read the first draft. If you don’t you just get this update on whether I hit my goals or not each week.
Word count goals this week: 5,000
Actual word count this week: 1150
Total word count so far: 4285
Total word count goal at this point: 20,000
How long did it take me? 3 hours
[mybookprogress book=”2″ showsubscribe=”false” simplesubscribe=”false”]
What have I learnt?
- That I think I am writing well and I am not actually writing at the rate I think I am. But that that’s ok. So i thought I was easily hitting my word count goal this past week while I was writing but I wasn’t. What was happening was that the story was flowing. I just had to keep writing. But I didn’t quite get a chance to continue beyond my usual writing sprint on Friday.
- I may need to change this word count per week thing because I haven’t even managed 2000 words per week yet. Is this going to be a novella? Because if it is we are kind of already a quarter of the way there. I am not giving myself too much grief on the word count thing because hey I can’t control exhaustion and travel and falling sick but clearly I overestimated things which is also no surprise. I may also be a tad optimistic that there will suddenly be a huge burst of writing and I will find myself with ten thousand words written over one night. Which I might point out to you has happened to me before it with other stories I have written. So it’s not totally impossible.
- I already know of a cheeky way to end the entire story and I am resisting every urge to jump ahead and write it out because that way madness lies, I am telling you. I am going in order because it works out faster and better, damn it.
- I may have to figure out a slightly easier way of arranging the updates in the full draft for those who are reading it, just so it’s easy to get to the bit that is the latest one but not have any confusion about the order of the story for those coming in later and needing to read from the start. I will have a think about this.
What distracted me?
- What happened was that I stopped writing at around 6 pm on Friday when a friend showed up to say hi to me. The friend wasn’t the issue but it was right around that time that something really hit me hard and I fell sick with some weird viral bug thing. I ended up going home and running a high temperature that night. By Sunday morning my throat was constricting as I woke up so I went and found myself a doctor. Yes, on Valentine’s Day. Since then I have been swallowing meds on the off chance that it is bacterial rather than viral and things have been getting better but I had no chance to focus long enough to do any writing.
What did I write about this past week?
Why no one often wants to get out of bed, the long lived nature of chicken dynasties and elderly neighbours who know more pop cultural references than you do. None of which was actually previously planned out by the way, these are just all the random cool things that turn up in my writing as I write.
[aesop_content color=”#28b753″ background=”#333333″ width=”800px” height=”400px” columns=”1″ position=”none” img=”http://marisa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DeathtoStock_Clementine2-small.jpg” imgrepeat=”no-repeat” floaterposition=”left” floaterdirection=”up”]