Quick explainer: For those of you who don’t know yet, I am writing my second book HIM and have staggered my word count goals this time. If you sign up to the mailing list you get to read the first draft. If you don’t you just get this update on whether I hit my goals or not each week.
Word count goals this week: 5,000
Actual word count this week: 1033
Total word count so far: 8004
Total word count goal at this point: 45,000
NOTE: It isn’t a novel or a novella but if it was going to be either it is nearly halfway to being a novella (at least 20,000 words) and nearly 1/5th of the way to being a novel (at least 50-60,000 words) by word count. Don’t know about you but that’s exciting for me.
How long did it take me? 2 hours? I will be writing over the Easter weekend as well so wish me luck.
What have I learnt?
- I didn’t write myself into a corner. Yes!
- Some of you are actually enjoying reading this draft and find Sophie rather intriguing and interesting. Thank you for that vote of confidence! That means a lot.
- My nails are now getting too long to write and type – it was annoying me when I was last scribbling away.
- I know what the next character will do but I have no clue how to get them into the story.
- I write things and then get very surprised by dovetailing symmetry and weird symbolism and such and things coming together and you, as readers, seem to think I have planned this and to be honest I have not planned any of it. I plan Sophie’s general movements and that certain people will show up – what they are like, what happens and what she thinks and does in reaction, I don’t know till I write it out.
What distracted me?
- A very sexy boyfriend. But also a mad dash to edit Sedition or at least whip it into shape a bit more. I will now be dividing my focus between Sedition and HIM but I am hoping to step up the writing of HIM a bit more as well.
- The good news that the laptop is finally fixed which will hopefully make me more effective and efficient and mobile workwise but also writing wise.
As always if you have joined the mailing list, you know where to go and you will have an email as well shortly reminding you.
In case you are a blog subscriber who is at a loss, sorry, I realised some of you subscribed to the blog in order to read the draft and I do recommend you do sign up for the list anyway but please see below for subscriber access only info about where to go to read it.
[restrict]Blog subscribers, thank you. Please head here and type in LIMERENCE. [/restrict]