As some of you can no doubt tell, I’m running Atahualpa 3.4 or whatever the latest version of it is. Which means that I have played around with the customisation a lot. I got rid of a lot of bits and pieces, uploaded my own graphics and went with *shock, shock, horror, horror* two serif fonts: Garamond and Zapfino. It’s also all shades of grey, white and black.
Not quite what graphic designers would recommend but hey, I was going for something elegant, readable, that matched my business cards.
Have you seen my business cards? When I want to hand out my business cards, I want them to be something simple and elegant. My name, what I do and my contact info, in black on white, centered in a nice font. Does it need to be anymore complicated than that? Some people seem to think so – there is a lot of noise about making your card as eye-catching as possible.
So then the website had to match. Or at least be a reasonable facsimile of the card.
But I now am a freelance journalist so the card has to change. I might also be accredited as an editor (I’ll find out in November) which will mean more changes. So since I am itching to change the design of the website why not change the card as well?
So here is my wishlist for the website:
- black background;
- Zapfino/Garamond/English as fonts;
- a picture of me in the header area, possibly part of the main banner;
- no interference with the usability of the site as it is now – ie: don’t want any heavy duty functional changes;
- want a unique design that screams “writer” and I also want it to scream “me”/”marisa” but don’t want to go down the route of the paper textures for the main content area; and,
- would love to have something hand drawn since I doodle swirls a lot – this would mean the design would not just be something anyone else could use with a different header image.
What I would love to have on the business card would be:
- elegance and simplicity;
- my name as the biggest text and centered;
- “journalist | geek goddess |writer | editor” though to be honest the “geek goddess” bit can go because I am not sure I have the time to run around managing sites for people anymore;
- fonts to be Zapfino or English but a readable serif or otherwise a sans serif font for the small contact info; and,
- the following things that are negotiable: white/black background; double sided; picture of me on one side, text on the other; a tag cloud of what I do or what I write or who I write for.
But I also want to ask you – the readers who pop back and check this site from time to time. You use the site, what is it that you would want to see changed that would make it more user friendly or readable?
What would you change design wise?
How would you design my website?